The Truman State Police and Kirksville Fire Department responded to a fire at the Student Union Building around 5 a.m., and a second related incident later this morning.
According to an email released by Police Director Sara Holzmeier, firefighters found a fryer in a second floor kitchen engulfed in flames upon their initial arrival. Firefighters were able to contain and extinguish the fire and there were no reported injuries.
Holzmeier reports that parts of the SUB including Mainstreet Market sustained smoke and water damage. She says the SUB reopened at 8 a.m. with limited access to the building, and that Mainstreet Market would be closed until further notice.
The Truman Police and KFD were called back to the scene around 10:25 a.m. and firefighters investigated what is believed to be smoldering embers left over from the previous incident.
Holzmeier says the building was evacuated again and that no one was in immediate danger. She says the SUB will be closed until further notice.
Update as of Jan. 15 at 2:00 pm: Fire alarms once again went off in the SUB around 11:55 am on Friday, Jan 15. SUB and Sodexo staff reported that the alarms were triggered as a result of excessive smoke in the kitchen that the exhaust vents could not filter out quickly enough. The fire department arrived, but found no active fire.
Stay tuned to the Truman Media Network for more information as it becomes available.