COVID-19 might have put our lives on hold, but it can’t take away the changing of the seasons. Celebrate the end of the semester and the start of summer with these five songs.
5. “School’s Out” by Alice Cooper: This classic song about the celebration that occurs at the end of every school year needs no explaining. Even with classes being online, everyone has definitely been holding their breath for the semester to be over, and this anthem is the perfect way to honor success over the year’s struggles.
4. “Summersong” by The Decemberists: Like desire for summer, this song gets stuck in your head and is not easily forgotten. A catchy but haunting melody about a short-lived romance, this song calls to mind the idea that nothing lasts forever, which is part of what makes the season so beautiful.
3. “Malibu” by Miley Cyrus: This wonderful ballad showcases Miley’s vocal talents while using rhythm and a repetitive guitar riff to create imagery of waves crashing against the shore, providing both the perfect backdrop for a song about learning to trust in a relationship and an excellent summer hit.
2. “Summertime” by My Chemical Romance: A departure from the band’s harder rock sound, this gentle tune combines imaginative lyrics and powerful vocal performance to create a reminiscent story about all of the wonderful possibilities of a seemingly endless summer through the eyes of youth.
1. “Summer Breeze” by Seals and Crofts: With amazing chords and beautiful imagery, this song’s comforting and calming vibe encapsulates the relaxed feeling of a summer night spent with loved ones and is a perfect way to relax and enjoy the changing of the seasons.