The Adair County Health Department confirmed the first case of the COVID-19 virus in Kirksville Saturday afternoon.
The patient was likely exposed to the virus while traveling in Chicago, but was immediately self-quarantined upon returning to Kirksville. The Adair County Health Department is working with Complete Family Medicine, who is providing oversight for the patient.
According to Jim LeBaron, Adair County Health Department administrator, the risk of community spread from this case is minimal.
In a statement, Complete Family Medicine stated it is offering testing, care and education for the Kirksville community. To prevent the spread of coronavirus, Complete Family Medicine and LeBaron encourage Kirksville residents to take the following preventative measures.
- Practice social distancing at all times. That means keeping six feet or more between you and other people.
- If you feel sick, stay at home and call your doctor. Do not go to work. Do not go anywhere. If you are having difficulty breathing and/or chest pain, call 911.
- If your children are sick, keep them home and call their doctor.
- If you are an older person, stay home and away from other people.
- If you are a person with a serious underlying health condition that can put you at increased risk (for example, a condition that impairs your lung or heart function or weakens your immune system), stay home and away from other people.
- Work or engage in schooling from home whenever possible. If you have to go to work, ask your employer about taking steps to protect your health, including taking temperatures of employees and putting more space between them.
- Avoid social and family gatherings.
- Avoid eating or drinking at bars, restaurants and food courts. Use drive-thru, pickup or delivery options.
- Avoid travel, shopping trips and social visits unless they’re absolutely necessary.
- Do not visit nursing homes or retirement or long-term care facilities unless to provide critical assistance.
- Practice good hygiene by washing your hands, especially after touching any frequently used items or surfaces. Avoid touching your face. Sneeze or cough into a tissue or the inside of your elbow. Disinfect frequently used items and surfaces often.
The City of Kirksville declared a state of emergency Friday, March 20.