Downtown revitalization program progresses to Pagliai’s

The City of Kirksville continues to make progress on the downtown revitalization program, initiated in 2019, aiming to bring new life to the downtown area.

The main component of the program is to renovate and restore the facades of the historic downtown area.

The program involves new additions to the downtown area, such as benches, trash cans and trees along the streets. Also included are improvements to the pedestrian infrastructure, such as sidewalks and street lights.

“[The objective of the program is] to revitalize our downtown in every respect,” Ashley Young, Kirksville assistant city manager, said. “More tourism, more commerce, more community events and really make it a more vibrant community.”

Many of the buildings downtown have the original facades underneath later additions. Removing the additions and repairing the original facade is one of the main objectives of this program.

The City will pay 75% of the cost to restore the original facade of the buildings, and the owners must cover the remaining 25%, Young said.

The targeted area for restoration is the 100 block of West Washington Street and the 100 block of South Elson Street.

The first facade restoration was completed in 2019 at 103 W. Washington St., which is currently Moonshine and Lace Boutique.

Kirksville is currently in the process of working on the facade of Pagliai’s Pizza at 101 W. Washington St.